Last modified: April 1, 2022
- Information Collected and Maintained. The Foundation collects and maintains personal information that you, our donors, provide to us when you:
- Contact us by phone, mail, or email, in person, or via our website.
- Register for an event.
- Make a contribution, either on our website, at a special event, over the phone, or by mailing in a check.
- Navigate through our website.
- Sign up to receive emails through our website.
- Make comments on blog posts on our website.
- Engage with us on social media (for example Twitter or Facebook).
- Use our vendors’ third-party platforms, made available through our website or online communications with you, to make a donation, opt in to receive email and other communications from us, register for an event, attend an online event or complete an online survey or form from us. In those cases, our vendors will share with us the information (other than credit card information) that you provide through those platforms.
From time to time, we may collect personal information from you in ways not described above, subject to your express approval.
- Types of Information. The Foundation collects and maintains the following types of information about our donors:
- Personal information, including:
- Contact information, such as name, address, email, and telephone number.
- Giving information, including types and amounts of donations. Our donation processing vendor(s) utilize secure transaction methods when collecting credit card information over the internet and do not share that information with us. On rare occasions, donors provide us hard copies of with their credit card information (for example, when completing and returning a paper donation form or envelope). We destroy or redact that information after processing the donation.
- Information on events attended and publications received and emails opened.
- Any other information provided by donors to the Foundation, such as public comments or posts on the Foundation’s website.
- Non-personal information that does not personally identify you, including information that is anonymized, aggregated, or publicly available when not combined with non-publicly available information about you.
- Information about your equipment, browsing actions, and patterns, including information automatically collected through technical methods such as:
- Web Beacons. Pages of our website and our marketing emails may contain small electronic files known as web beacons (also referred to as clear gifs, pixel tags, and single-pixel gifs) that permit the Foundation, for example, to count users who have visited those pages or opened an email and for other related website statistics (for example, recording the popularity of certain website content and verifying system and server integrity).
- All information about any financial and non-financial transactions between you and the Foundation is considered highly confidential and we employ security measures consistent with requirements of applicable law to protect it. While the information is kept confidential, it is shared with the Foundation’s board members, staff, volunteers, fundholders, and professionals on a need-to-know basis and in compliance with all laws, regulations, court orders, or other governmental requests.
- Use of Personal Information. The Foundation collects and maintains personal information to:
- Establish a relationship and communicate with you about the Foundation, including our programs, activities, funding priorities and needs and about special events in which you may be interested.
- Acknowledge and recognize donors (unless you request otherwise).
- Process donations and event registrations and issue tax receipts.
- Comply with all laws and regulations, including reporting requirements.
- Plan future fundraising activities and events.
- Learn about our donors and what matters to you.
- Analyze giving patterns.
- Solicit feedback from you by conducting surveys.
The Foundation uses safeguards consistent with those specified in applicable law to protect your personal information against the unauthorized access, use, alteration, or destruction of your personal information. The Foundation will not share, sell, or exchange your personal information with any other entity for third-party fundraising or marketing purposes, except as provided in this Policy or as expressly consented to by you. To the extent that a third-party service provider is used to process any donations, the provider is bound by strict confidentiality rules, and your information will only be used to the extent necessary to process the donation.
- Communications. The Foundation will from time to time communicate with you, including by telephone, text, email, and mail, concerning the Foundation’s charitable activities, events, and requests for future support. To opt out of receiving these communications, you may contact the Foundation as described in the “Contact Us” section below or by clicking on the “unsubscribe” link in any email communications.
- Records Retention and Destruction. The Foundation complies with all Internal Revenue Service, state, and local regulations and the Foundation’s internal policies governing the retention, management, and destruction of donor information collected and maintained by the Foundation.
- Accessing and Correcting Your Personal Information. You can review and request changes to the personal information that the Foundation has collected about you by contacting the Foundation as described in the “Contact Us” section below. However, please be aware that the Foundation may not accommodate a change request that would impact record retention or other operational requirements like remembering email opt-out preferences, violate any law or legal requirement, or cause the information to be incorrect.
- Contact Us. To opt out of receiving communications from the Foundation, to review the personal information that the Foundation has collected about you, or to ask any other questions regarding this Policy, please contact the Foundation at the below mailing address or email.
Attn: Liz Ackerson
Cambridge Community Foundation
99 Bishop Allen Drive, Unit 115
Cambridge, MA 02139
Email: [email protected]